DSCU West Campus, located on Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio, is one of two DSCU campuses, the other being the National Capital Region (NCR) campus (DSCU NCR).
Course content is a blend of instruction on the governing policies concerning security assistance and security cooperation, implementation and execution by various U.S. government agencies, and associated management processes. Throughout the curricula there are subjects intended to broaden the scope and depth of the student’s knowledge of the total security assistance and security cooperation spectrum. The objective of the various courses is to broaden the understanding of the various programs, policies, procedures, responsibilities, and the organizations responsible for implementation.
Courses are offered in resident and online formats (virtual instructor led, and self-paced asynchronous). Resident courses, taught both at DSCU West and other locations by arrangement, vary in length from two days to four weeks. Resident and virtual instructor online courses are offered several times annually. Self-paced, asynchronous online courses are available continuously and generally range from about 90 minutes to 20 hours.
Educational program quality is maintained by:
- Blending students from all MILDEPs and other backgrounds in classroom sizes conducive to open discussion.
- Integrating current policies and procedures with practical security assistance problems.
- Engaging in practical exercises where possible.
- Utilizing advanced technology for instruction.
- Selecting faculty with extensive practical knowledge and a strong desire to be instructors.
- Using guest speakers recognized as authorities in their field based on their official position and/or experience.
All courses are designed to improve the knowledge and enhance the skills of a wide audience in the field of security cooperation. Students include U.S. military personnel and DoD civilians, employees in the U.S. defense industry, and military and civilian
counterparts of foreign governments, among others.